Sunday, March 13, 2011

So, I have an idea. I don’t know if many of you get sort of consumed in huge disasters when they happen, but I do. I have been hardly able to tear myself away from YouTube, watching and re-watching Japan's tsunami and earthquake videos. It is absolutely incredible that we are able to actually see the destruction as it has taken place. It is shocking and gut wrenching if you ask me. It always poses the same questions and feelings for me…such as, “How could this happen?” “Why did this happen?” “Could something devastating happen where I live?” “What should I do about it?” Well, every time I begin this mental process, I arrive at the same conclusion.  I realize how fleeting this life is and it makes me want to, again, release my life on earth to the only one who knows the number of days I have left…and I have to give it over again and again.

Secondly, since I am still here and breathing I figure maybe I could do something.  As I watch people’s lives and possessions and even towns become blotted out, I do feel a sense of responsibility I guess you could say. A large part of my heart breaks for the families torn apart…for people who, though we live worlds away, probably have similar values as myself.  I think of those who have either died or lost children or children have lost parents or sisters have lost brothers. This is a link to one of many clips showing the tsunami and the disaster it left behind:



When I think about it we are just people…we really aren’t that different.  All that to say…I'd like to do something to recognize my place as a human being on this world, no different or better than anyone else. I would like to give something, to do my small part...but, I don’t have any money. Although that fact is relative, I can’t squeeze anything out of my budget (it just cost $60 to fill up my car for goodness sakes!) But I could sacrifice something…I think I would like to NOT buy groceries this week, and donate my grocery money to a relief organization. World Vision is trustworthy and unless anyone has a better suggestion, I think I will donate to them.



But what will I do without groceries???  Well, some of us have way too much crap in our cabinets anyway, so we could just eat off scraps and do ourselves a favor.  OR--I, for 1 week of my life, could do what almost half of the world does, yes I said HALF of the world does, which is live off of $2.50 a day.  (obviously I would just try to only spend $2.50/day on food).  What is even more shocking is that 80% of the world's population lives off $10 a day...we that have a house, a job, enough money to eat are special.  OR I could eat rice and beans for a week.  Really, one weeks not gonna kill me or my kids.  We'll still take our vitamins:) Check out this clip by Francis Chan:
 
 
So, I realize my measly $75 a week that I will donate to World Vision for disaster relief in Japan will really not make a big difference.  The job will get done whether I choose to give or not.  But, I don't believe that is that attitude I am called to have.  Jesus was mostly concerned about those who were suffering on this earth.  He poured his life out for those who suffered.  There is something, for me at least, about realizing I am not that different than others...that we are all people suffering on this earth in one way or another.  I don't believe it would kill me or my family to sacrifice our stomach's for 1 measly week.  Heck, maybe people will join me.  Or maybe someone else will feel the way I do, and we'll do it again...and give more than just one week.  A reason for giving and sacrificing will never cease, Jesus did it every day of this life on this earth...and then gave himself in the end.
 
SO, is anyone else down with joining me?  I have talked about doing this since the earthquake in Haiti, but turns our talking really doesn't accomplish much.  Please let me know if so...maybe I will make a page or something.
 
Here's more of the sermon by Francis Chan...I listened to this and it really made a lot of sense to me. 
See what you think.
 

5 comments:

Antiqua said...

So Emma, if I love your blog post, can I post and share it. I think this is moving and from the heart. Thanks for teaching, LOVE YOU!!

Unknown said...

Of course!! I'd be honored:)

Rachael said...

Emma,
This is such a great idea. A high schooler at our church had this idea and we all ate rice and beans for a weak and donated our grocery money to Haiti after the earthquake. He made King 5 news and ended up raising well over $10,000 I believe. Faith can move mountains and every little bit makes a difference. Keep it up, you have an amazing heart!
-Rachael

MatsuVixen said...

if you donate here http://imbresources.org/index.cfm/product/detail/prodID/3352

100% of your donation will go toward disaster relief not overhead costs.

I already stopped buying groceries a couple weeks ago, except for milk and produce. Unfortunately, my grocery money is now going towards my mortgage, but Japan has my prayers.

Unknown said...

Thank you Rachel! And thank you for the link. Much appreciated... Hope you can buy groceries next week :)