Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Haiti, Vegas.... and a Pickle

The Johnson's are in a pickle.  Probably the biggest pickle we have been in in at least 4 years.  Life changing decisions must be made.... and it's soooooooooo hard.

So, I invite you to step right in to the middle of The Johnson's Life.

First, however, we must re-visit Vegas.

In my  previous post I began the careful investigation of doing a compare/contrast between my travels to Haiti in January 2012 and Vegas in January 2013.  Turns out there is much more to say about how I function in both of these locations.... more than the differences in the places themselves.  I could attempt to compare the differences in the people... the humility of the Haitians vs the entitlement of the Vegas-goers.  I could compare the very fact that a 3 1/2 hour plane ride to the West takes me to a concrete paradise built strictly for fun and wasting money, while a similar plane ride to the South takes me to a poverty-striken country where children run around naked and starving and die of disease and starvation daily... but I won't.

I would rather comment on the change I saw in myself as I compare my own behavior in the opposite environments of Haiti and Las Vegas.  First of all I was slightly disgusted at the amount of money wasting that went on.  It practically seemed like people brought wads of cash to purposely throw around carelessly... and as much as I desired to stick to spending only the cash that we brought... I eventually justified spending $100 over what we had planned because of this mentality.  Everyone else was doing it, so why did I need to be such a tight wad???  Funny because I remember being in Haiti and running out of money towards the end of the trip.  One of the older kids at the orphanage had his original artwork for sale... and it was beautiful.  But I was running low and wanted to be sure I had enough money to get home.  His artwork was selling for $25 and it was worth every penny.  He implored....I declined.  Funny how easily I justified overspending in Vegas just because everyone else seemed to be.  But to think of how much more my overspending would have benefitted this boy in Haiti is incomparable.
Overall I found that my own personal needs skyrocketed while in Vegas.  I expected things to be a certain way and found myself frustrated when they weren't.  I found that I was thouroughly annoyed on the airplane when I sat next to a twenty-something kid looking at women's fashion magazines, gawking with his nose pressed an inch away from a scantily clad woman.  I was almost pushed over the edge by this kids' inability to breathe with his mouth closed.  To make matters worse, every time he coughed he refused to cover his mouth and instead allowed his germs to roll freshly off his tongue and onto his lap.  YUCK!!  I'm still bothered by it.  But I dare say had I sat next to that kid on my way home from Haiti I probably would have struck up a conversation with him and ended up talking about his childhood.  My heart was in a different place.  One trip was meant to serve, and the other was meant to be served.  Maybe one day I will find that I will be the exact same person in both locations....

I won't be so stubborn as to say I didn't thoroughly enjoy myself in Vegas... because I did.  Jeremy and I had a phenomenal time and we are both thankful for the incredible opportunity this was for the advancement of his music career.  After his show, I had numerous people raise their eyebrows in surprise and say, "your married to that guy???"  He and the band severely kicked butt and made some major impressions.  I have an incredibly talented husband who has been writing beautiful music within the walls of our home for over 10 years now.  His music career is advancing as he has impressed some  of the right people for sure...but unfortunately impressing people doesn't quite pay our mortgage.  Welcome to the struggle we now find ourselves in.


Two Tuesday's ago... the day we left for Vegas, Jeremy got a call from his boss... his position is ending... their moving his position to Denver... he's getting laid off.  We contemplate moving to Denver for 2 seconds and then realize he's always wanted to quit his job anyway so Denver is out of the question.  Next he starts calling people that might be able to give him a job.  He gets an interview... the job description is great for him; not in music at all but a job he would enjoy none the less... a job he could work up in and grow... a job that would pay more... a job that would demand more of him of course.  It seems like a shoo in... like there should be no debate.  He should take the job.

But somewhere from deep within both of us, there is this little music baby whose crying and wants to be heard.  The music baby suggests that maybe now is the time to give music all you have, to do it full time and see where it goes.  To pursue it in every way possible, and see what doors God might open.

Now, to think that Jeremy could replace his income with just music gigs is quite a stretch.... I know.  It wouldn't work unless we started eating our animals and Addi would never forgive us for eating her guinea pig so that's just not an option.

But what is an option is allowing Jeremy to works toward becoming a full time musician while I take a part time job (an incredible job God has especially prepared me to do... no joke) to help out with some of the monthly expenses.  This option is more than possible as I have a job opportunity that I only need to say 'yes' to.

So.... one path holds an AWESOME part-time job for me as Jeremy works toward becoming a full time musician (this option is a leap of faith and holds no guarantees... but sounds exciting as we would go wherever music would take us).
OR
Jeremy takes a good paying consistent full-time job, with music on the side (this is the more practical side... not much risk here at all, and music would only be on the weekends at best).

My heart has SO been for Jeremy's music for such a long time.  God has given him an incredible ability in song writing and I am so passionate about what his music is about.  He can capture a moment like none other.  Tonight in the car I was blaring Meaning to the Madness and found myself sinking into each line, remembering their origins:

How peculiar that I posses the choice to put myself in your shoes.  We're all just one breath away from cold devastating news.  I'm gonna, open my eyes and let my chest feel the pain, so none of these things I do make this mess in vein...

These lines came from one of the many difficult seasons we faced.  Jeremy lost his best friend from High School in a ridiculous skate boarding accident.  His friend was a father of 3 himself and he died on Father's Day.  He also lost his Grandpa that same year... he crashed his own airplane.   We both came to the realization that death could come knocking on anyone's door at anytime and we were no exception.  But when someone you love dearly dies, you don't return to life quite the same.  Something in you screams... something changes, it has to.  Or else you struggle in vein.

That same year Jeremy and I grew more and more sickened by the terrible things that happen to children.  He got very attached to one story out of Idaho... a sweet young boy who was forced to have weekend visitation with his mother was beaten to death by her boyfriend.  The song Bleedingkeys was born out of that story alone.  Little angels mistreated by the ones that they trust.

I also visited the city of Joplin after it was torn to shreds by an F-5 tornado.  What happened there was absolutely gut wrenching.  I explained to him the story of one family eating dinner and seeing the twister heading straight toward them, dropped their forks and ran to the closet seconds before the tornado took their home.  They survived but so many did not...storms rage and people brace as hearts beat and bust.

And then of course there's the babies in any third world country... I witnessed their life and death in Haiti... who literally live their lives every day, starving.... and then they die.  Babies are starving and their turning to dust.

And this is just one song.  Every song is loaded with meaning and real life experience.  In my mind the music must be pursued.  But my husband is a good man who holds practicality in high regard and has not much interest in taking a risk when his family is at stake.

So it's your turn.  Weigh in on this with us!!  Especially if you are fans of Jeremy Johnson!!

7 comments:

Heidi Boos said...

Wow...Emma!! This is such a heart-felt post! I definitely found myself holding back tears. I will be praying for you and your family and what's next to come. I believe that either decision God is going to use in amazing ways, so trust that. I hope that you and Jeremy find peace in the decision you do choose! Blessings to you...you both are an inspiration in many ways!!

Unknown said...

Ugh Heidi thank you!! This is SO hard. Jeremy has a 2nd interview tomorrow... Will keep you posted. Thank you for your kind words!

Esther said...

Hi mama! I enjoyed reading this! A heartfelt post indeed:) I think you guys should just keep praying, see how Jeremy's second interview goes...re-examine your part-time opportunity, as well as current opportunities for Jeremy in music. I feel like God speaks in practical ways...things fall in place for a reason and sometimes we just have to keep praying and pay attention to signs, trust and follow, ya know? I love you and fully support whatever you decide! Love, Essie

Unknown said...

Emma, I enjoyed reading this, and didn't realize you even had a blog... lol. Anyway, you know my vote, but I'll explain. As long as Jeremy has a 'job' he is hedging his faith in what God has in store for him and for you. God is not about hedged bets. That's like saying to God, I'll tithe, as soon as my income goes up 20% to cover it. Faith first, farthings follow. You and everyone who knows Jeremy and hears his music understands his genius, it's time to put your head where you heart is and believe with your actions and not just your words. I am so happy he is out of that job. In a way, this has God's hand all over it...

"Ok silly human children... since you can't get off the dime, I'll make it easier for you... poof. Now will you devote yourself to your talents and watch me work my magic?"

Antiqua said...

Emma and Jeremy -

Sometimes the shiny road looks so easy so inviting so simply and plan - yet this road is worldly, it makes since logically but has little to know heart. In my opinion it is Satan's shiny object syndrome and far to often makes us sidetrack from God's plan.

Most times the high road or God's road looks more challenging, sketchy. Why? Because God wants you to have Faith in Him, lean into Him, Trust Him and when you do you will be able to give Him the glory without a doubt and bask in His light. At least after 3 years of interviews, talking to some of the most accomplished and amazing authors, artist, healers and teachers I have ever met this is the common reality.

My question to both of you is this? What has God gifted you to do? What has God trained you up in being? What would develop your faith, hope and increase your love. All things are possible with God?

Lastly, really could it get any more scary than when you all moved from here to Oregon and then to there, bought a house had to fix it...etc... if God can provide there no matter what you choose here God will provide.

No matter what you choose God will make God on it because your hearts are with and for Him. However, from the outside looking in. God has gifted Jeremy with a talent and passion that not only fills him with joy, but touches everyone who hears with hope, love and inspiration. This is a passion he has not ever looked away from, given up on or been able to put down - God breathes it through him literally. We all know Jeremy, can you really say anything else besides you and the kids and God himself mean more to him than playing and performing the worlds God feeds through him? In my opinion not taking this leap of faith at this time would be silly. He can always find another job he loves and God will provide even better if that time comes, which I doubt it will.

As for your choices. God has trained you, literally brought you training class after training class for His chosen profession for you. All great causes go non profit. But non-profit means they have to spend all their money or give it away they all have to make money. Trust that by adding you to this team if you choose they are getting a raise from God. At least that is how I see it, no education is better than a God education and you have had that indeed.

Security is one thing and yes it feels great. But nothing about life is truly secure. My opinion since you asked is to put your faith in God, leap while all the doors are open, let Him catch you and fly. You're young and Jeremy will still be employable when he is in his 70's and wants to stop playing gigs :) as if that will ever happen.

The last question I would like to pose is this. If Jeremy does not give his all at least once in his life will he regret it?

Living your life 100% full of Faith, Hope and Love is all God asks of us. Your charity work and Jeremy's music seems to build the most of those feelings and realities for both you guys as well as many many many others.

Love you always,
Antiqua

Unknown said...

Thank you for your words Antiqua! You are right that God has been training us for sure and it is thrilling to think of God carefully placing in a place where he asks us to leap and trust him. Thank you so much for your words... they are greatly appreciated!!! Love you very much!

Jesse, Shari , Hank, and Duke said...

when i find myself in these big pickles of life where it really is up to you to decide, i have found that fasting has helped. maybe you and Jer can give it a try, fast every 2 days for a week or something like that :) we did it for whether or not to get married, whether to move, etc.
love you guys!!!